Monday, August 8, 2011

Introduction - The Awakening

I don't have much use for television these days but when I used to watch it I got the sense that outside of the History and Discovery channels the state of quality entertainment was rapidly deteriorating. Perhaps it was the ten dead bodies I once counted during a CBS commercial break. Or the all too popular television shows that parade dysfunctional youth to include series dedicated to pregnant teenagers and lavish sweet sixteen birthdays. All of this positively contributed to what I now consider to be a firm belief. The preoccupied insanity of human beings known to most as normalcy is resulting in the destruction of our beautiful planet. I get the impression that most people not only think that Abraham Lincoln was the second US President but also that our water supply is fed continuously from outer space via cloud delivery systems. Now I would love to write a blog on US and World History because I find it fascinating but saving our planet seems to be the more pertinent issue at this time.

So how did I get here? I have always had a love for all living creatures. Most insects that invade our home are politely shown the door with the exception of the giant American Cockroaches (Palmetto) that are capable of taking full flight. Long before that I was beaten up twice in middle school for interrupting groups of kids that were hurting animals. In both instances I quickly became the target of their aggression but I was able to save a rather elder looking possum (the giant toad didn't make it).

My love for creatures combined with the recent birth of our beautiful son beckoned me to do more than fill recycle bins with water bottles and cans. I felt the calling to change my lifestyle to something much more simple and at the same time sustainable. My ignorance on the subject of being really Self-Sufficient led me to purchase "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Self-Sufficient Living" by Jerome D. Belanger. This book changed my life and I shared its contents with my wife during late night feedings of our son. We made the decision to embark on a journey to make our lives as self-sufficient and sustainable as possible. Thanks for visiting and we hope you join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment